8 Ways to Have a Healthier Thanksgiving
Enjoy yourself this turkey-day and do it in a way you can feel great about.
1. Eat a healthy, filling breakfast. Set up your day for success.
2. Get outdoors. Exercise and get moving. Burn your calories early or plan for a walk between dinner and dessert.
3. Don’t snack while cooking. There will be plenty of time to taste everything at dinner.
4. Stay hydrated. Drink water throughout the day. Have a glass of water after each cocktail to prevent a hangover. Choose carefully, for example dry champagne has less calories than white wine.
5. Cook healthy dishes: swap mashed potatoes for mashed cauliflower; use milk instead of cream; avoid toppings such as marshmallows, pecans, and crispy onions; make fresh cranberry sauce instead of buying canned.
6. Load up on veggies, not starches. Divide your plate: half veggies, ¼ turkey, ¼ starch. Choose white meat over dark, skip the skin. Also skip common foods and creamy casseroles.
7. Chew and savor. Wait 20 min before taking a second helping. Just say no… thanks but I’m full.
8. Desserts: don’t sit in front of the candy dish or desserts; split your dessert; consider a crustless pumpkin pie or fruit as your sweet.
The most important thing to remember this holiday is to squash your stress, maintain balance in your life, and nurture yourself. Happy Thanksgiving!